Friday, September 25, 2009

A Spicy Side Note: Chili Powder

This is the famous chili powder that I use and mention regularly. The brand is inconsequential, since all brands sell the same thing: finely ground Kashmiri chili. You can find this powder in any South Asian supermarket, though in Ljubljana, I have yet to see it. I brought this with me from New York, since I can’t live without it.

In dishes that call for spice, I always add this chili powder. The red color looks threatening but it’s one of the mildest varieties of Indian chili, so the Western palette needn't fear. I inevitably substitute it for peperoncino flakes, since I believe Kashmiri chili has a more robust taste. Perhaps I’m biased; after all, I’ve grown on its flavor. Kashmiri chili undoubtedly adds an extra kick to tomato sauces, as well as to many meat dishes.

I also keep a small bottle of chili oil handy, to drizzle over soups and add to sauces. It’s easy to make: heat up a cup of olive oil over a medium flame, add 3 tsp. of chili powder, and allow it to fry for about one to two minutes. Pour this spicy mixture into a bottle, and store it in a cool, dark place. Chili oil keeps for months. I’m sure there are many other uses for Kashmiri chili in Western cuisine, and as I find them out, I’ll post these moments of Eureka!

No comments:

Post a Comment